In our technology-driven world, cyber attacks are more common than ever. Hackers are using viruses to steal vital information from corporations, governments and private individuals.
A cyber attack is a deliberate attempt to damage or disable computers, networks, or electronic systems. Hackers use a variety of methods to launch cyber attacks, including viruses, ransomware, and phishing scams.
What to do if you’re a victim of a cyber attack
If you are the victim of a cyber attack, there are several things you can do to protect yourself and your computer.
First, make sure you have up-to-date antivirus software and a firewall installed on your computer. You should also back up your data regularly in case your computer is infected and needs to be wiped clean.
If you think your computer has been hacked, disconnect it from the internet and take it to someone who knows how to remove viruses. It’s important to remember that cyber attacks are a criminal offence and victims should report them to ActionFraud for further investigation.
How to protect your business from cyber attacks
There are several ways to protect your business from cyber attacks. The most important is to have a comprehensive security plan in place. This should include firewalls, anti-virus software and malware protection. You should also create strong passwords and change them regularly. Employees should be trained in how to spot phishing emails and other scams.
You should also consider using a cloud-based security solution. This can help protect your business from online threats, including ransomware and DDoS attacks. Cloud-based security solutions are becoming increasingly popular, as they offer comprehensive protection at a fraction of the cost of traditional security solutions.
You should also take steps to protect your business if you run an online store. For example, SSL certificates allow you to encrypt information sent between your site and customers’ browsers, so hackers can’t intercept any sensitive data. You should also ensure that all payment pages are hosted on HTTPS domains to prevent phishing attacks.
10 top tips for avoiding cyber attacks
- Install up-to-date antivirus software and a firewall on your computer.
- Back up your data regularly in case your computer becomes infected.
- Disconnect your computer from the internet if you think it has been hacked.
- Use strong passwords and change them regularly. This can be made easy to manage using a password manager like 1Password.
- Be suspicious of unsolicited emails and links, even if they appear to be from people you know. You can find out more about our Phishing Awareness Training solution.
- Use Two-Factor Authentication.
- Make sure websites are secure before entering any personal information or credit card details.
- Shop only at reputable online stores.
- Use a cloud-based security solution to protect your business from online threats.
- Only use reputable payment options.
As we move further into the digital age, cyber attacks are becoming increasingly common. Businesses need to take steps to protect themselves from these online threats. The most important thing is to have a comprehensive security plan in place, which should include firewalls, anti-virus software and malware protection. Employees should be trained in how to spot phishing emails and other scams. You should also consider using a cloud-based security solution to help protect your business from online threats. Xenace can offer you and your business all these solutions and more; Contact Us today to find out how we can help keep your business safe online.