4 Steps to an Invincible Password
Passwords may seem like a very basic part of cyber security, but they are your very last line of defence against attack. If someone can guess your password they can get access to a huge amount of sensitive data.
Here are 4 tips to ensure that your password is as secure as the rest of your cyber security processes.
1) Think of a quote or lyric that you like with at least 8 words eg. Xenace IT Support is the best on the market
2) Take the first letter of each word eg. xitsitbotm
3) Add upper and lower-case letters at random eg. xiTsitBotM
4) Substitute a letter for a number and add two special characters eg. x!Ts1tBo+M
Et voila! A very strong password, and memorable because it all comes from a quote/lyric of your choice!
- Make sure to change your password every three months and try not to reuse the same one within 12 months, and don’t use the same password for all your accounts.
- If you find it hard to keep up with all these changes and to remember every password use a password manager, like 1Password, which stores them all for you and uses a two-step verification, which is a good extra step to take whenever available.
- It may seem obvious but don’t share your password with anyone, especially online or over e-mail. Do not even e-mail it to yourself as this can be intercepted. If someone needs access to your account log into it yourself.
If cyber security is something that concerns you, have a chat with us. Xenace is very focused on providing helpful cyber security solutions in everything we do, from web security to e-mail security, we can give you helpful advice on every aspect of your protection against cyber attack.